Download Resume: Florence Brown CV 2021
Former journalist turned strategic communications executive, highly skilled in public relations, proactive media pitching, crisis communications, employee relations and community engagement. Decisive leader capable of managing complex and sensitive issues with professionalism and discretion. Ethical, reliable and tactful communicator focused on transparency and truth. Particular interest in drastically transforming the way organizations engage with communities that drive their business and growth.
Master of Public Administration
California State University East Bay (2010)
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism
San Francisco State University (2006)
Director of Communications
City of Philadelphia, Division of Aviation | March 2019 – Present
Executive strategist overseeing all public affairs functions at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) and Northeast Philadelphia Airport (PNE), the airport system serving the sixth largest city in the US. PHL drives a $16.8 billion impact on the greater Philadelphia region and serves 33 million passengers each year, generating more than 100,000 jobs in PA, NJ, DE and MD.
- Oversees the activities of nine professionals, including: Assistant Director of Community Relations, Public Affairs Manager, Public Relations Supervisor, Photographer/Videographer, two administrative officers, two PR Specialists and one Internal Communications lead.
- Created and maintains the PHL Communications Strategy, mapping the work of the Communications team to the objectives of the PHL Strategic Plan and executive leadership.
- Oversees media relations team handling complex ecosystem of inquiries and topics, including industry news, legal matters, international business, finance and politics, regulations, technology, environment, socioeconomics and culture.
- Collaborates with key leaders throughout Philadelphia, including tourism entities, government and elected officials, influencers, business executives and media.
- Guides digital strategy, social media, website content management, analytics, Search Engine Optimization, and technological innovation.
Director of Communications
Coordinated Health | 2013 – 2019
- Strategic lead for all corporate communications initiatives at Coordinated Heath, a specialized hospital network based in eastern Pennsylvania and western New Jersey with 18 locations and more than 1,400 employees.
- Responsible for promoting the activities of 100+ physicians spanning more than 10 specialties, including orthopedics, primary care, cardiology and women’s health.
- Engaged diverse list of external stakeholders, including employees, journalists, editors, elected officials, business leaders, celebrity athletes and more.
- Managed all crisis communications efforts, including highly sensitive legal and regulatory issues with complex considerations and risks.
- Produced award-winning videos for marketing campaigns.
- Managed all corporate digital properties, including corporate website, microsites, customer relationship management platforms and social media.
- Engaged diverse influencer communities using interest and geography-based targeting, contingent on business needs and target demographics.
Veteran Affairs Liaison Officer
Lehigh Valley Military Affairs Council | 2014 – 2019
- Serves as advocacy officer on Healthcare in Our Communities project.
- Oversees and executes yearly Marketing and Communications Plan.
- Advises colleagues on community relations strategy.
- Stays abreast of all veteran healthcare news and trends.
Bay Area News Group | 2006 – 2009
- Managed newspaper websites earning more than 4 million monthly page views.
- Served on Editorial Board to consult on digital presentation of all content.
- Wrote breaking news and collaborated with external news sources.
- Maintained databases, built online maps and designed multimedia products.
- Trained staff on blogging, Search Engine Optimization, and writing for the web.
- Interacted with community organizations to collect data for various assignments.
- Microsoft Office suite
- Adobe Creative suite
- Content Management Systems (WordPress, Squarespace)
- Customer Relationship Management platforms (MailChimp, SurveyGizmo, Salesforce)
- Social Media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest)
- Video platforms (YouTube, Vimeo, Snapchat, Facebook Live)
MEMBERSHIPS & HONORS
(Current) PRSA Philadelphia Member
(Current) Young Professionals Council
Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce
2019 Board of Directors
Women’s Business Council
Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce
2019 Chapter Member
Folds of Honor Eastern PA-NJ
Gold – 2016 AAF Addy Awards – Online/Interactive Microsite category
2014 IAC Best Healthcare Website
Internet Advertising Competition (IAC)